Friday, December 25, 2009

A Moment of Discovery . . . . .

So perhaps I am not a true blogger. I haven't paid attention to my little project; as with most things in my life, I started something and didn't take the time to finish it. ADD is like that. I can start out doing the dishes and end up at the car wash wondering why my dishes didn't get done.
I've been doing a bit of research as of late though. I've been reading blog after blog after blog - so many that I cannot keep them straight at times. I have noticed one thing, though. It seems like the people that write the blogs have everything together all the time - like somehow they live in a world where June Cleaver and Donna Reed rule the land with organization, perfection, and impeccable time management skills. They post pictures of perfectly appointed kitchens with perfectly posed pot roasts. They have $1,500 cameras and pristine linens.
That's not me. I eat Ho-Ho's and those gas station cherry pies and wash them down with a French Vanilla Cappuccino on my way to work after dropping the kids off at school 5 minutes before the first bell rings. I have a Samsung digital camera that takes pretty darn good pictures for a little camera. I have stains on my shirts from coffee, ketchup, and baby puke. Incidentally, those same stains are on the floor of my well-used minivan. I continually run late, I burn the rolls now and again, and I tend to get crabby when I don't get enough sleep - like ever day of my life.
But I have realized one thing - all of that right up there in that paragraph? That's o.k. I'm not perfect, and I don't need to be. I'll take my pictures with my little camera, I'll eat my cherry pies and drink my KwikTrip Cappuccino and I will smile.
Now, on to other things. . .
I recently discovered a recipe for rolls. Not breaking news, I totally get it. However, you need to understand something - yeast and I do NOT get along. I remember watching my grandmother make bread when I was a child. I can still see her kneading the dough, watching her pull off the cover, punch it down, shape it, and let it rise again only to pop it in the oven and pull it out an hour later golden brown and beautiful. I can still smell the butter melting on the hot surface and see it dripping down the sides, my mouth watering for that first decadent piece of deliciousness. (Sigh. Smile. Tear up. Still love you Grams.)
Oh yeah, back to the recipe. So as I have stated, yeast and I have a love/hate relationship. I love it, it hates me. I've tried numerous recipes that have brought me nothing but misery and a trip to my bed shedding tears of failure. . . . until now.
I owe my new-found fascination for everything yeast to prostiedvizhenija on youtube. For in this video, I finally have the satisfaction of being able to create not only a dinner roll, but hamburger and hot dog buns, cinnamon rolls, and just plain ol' bits of yumminess my family has generously thanked me for. The recipe is simple, easy to follow, and it turns out. I even screwed it up the first time and it STILL turned out. I have to say, the way caramel rolls turn out with this recipe is stupendous. Let's take a look shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment